Button United Methodist
Thursday, May 23, 2013
LOVE + SERVE + SHARE
The History of Button Memorial United Methodist Church Little Elm, TX
BUTTON - George Lafayette Button (August 16 - 1830 - January 6, 1911) of Barron County, Kentucky was married to Sarah Ann White (May 18, 1834 - April 23, 1922) by Bro. Jon., C. Woollam, who was the preacher in charge of the Douglas District, East Texas Conference, on March 15, 1858. To them were born nine children: Martha (married E. D. Driscol) , Mary (married James T. Young), William who died when struck by lightning, George L., Jr. (married Amanda Killingsworth and later Emma Clark), John , single, Alice and Lucy who died within a few hours of each other with meningitis, Oscar (married Jennie Hodges), and Ida (married Tom Erwin, Jr.).
In October, 1866, George and Sarah Button moved from Nacogdoches County to Little Elm, Denton County community, where he established a harness, saddle and shoe repair business. They were active members of the Methodist Church and active in other civic affairs. Being a steward in the church, he would travel many miles, collecting the quarterage. He was a Mason for many years and served as Justice of Peace - thus becoming known as Squire Button. His daughter, Ida Erwin, has given me papers showing appointment and certificates of election to Justice of Peace and Notary Public. One was signed by Governor J.S. Hogg. The Button Home was the place where the stranger in town was as welcome as a neighbor or a casual acquaintance. There was always room for one more. They, like many others, would give of their material things, time and strength to help others. After the death of two daughters and one daughter-in-law, these two wonderful people helped to care for seven grandchildren. Annie Young remained with them until her marriage to M.B. Hughuey in 1914. Seven of their
granchildren attended school here - Ella, Bertie, and Tom Driscol; Annie Young; Chris, Iva, and Willie Button; Ola, Annie Jim, and Bonita Erwin.
Above is From the pages of "112 Years in Little Elm Community" by Mrs. J. M. Harris 1957 page 138
In 1853 circuit rider Rev. William E. Bates organized the Methodist Church here in Little Elm and worshiped in a little log house at the John House Springs, 1.5 miles to the East, with all other denominations. Several camp meetings were held there and school was taught. Then after a short stay in a 2-story building, located in the Little Elm Cemetery, the Methodist decided to build their own building around 1898 at the NW corner of Main and FM 720.
In 1963 Mrs. Anne Hughey donated funds to purchase property and build a new building on the corner of FM 720 and Clark St. and named it Button Memorial United Methodist Church after her grandfather George L. Button. Being a steward in the church, Button would travel many miles, collecting the quarterage. He also served as Justice of Peace - thus becoming known as Squire Button. The building was occupied the weekend of November 22, 1963.
In the early 1970’s and addition was made to the chapel including a large fellowship hall, kitchen and a Sunday school wing. In July of 2003, in conjunction with the 150th anniversary celebration, ground was broken on a new 6000 square foot multipurpose facility adjoining the building already in use.